- It may be worn continuously for more than 1 hour.
- It is used for short term work such as work in tanks, trenches and sewers.
- A 'Demand valve' is designed to provide air flow as demanded by the wearer.
- The BA can be cleaned and reused many times, as recommended by the manufacturer.
- It is OK for a heavy work rate (heavy manual work requiring a lot of exertion and energy).
- SCBA is highly specialised equipment. The wearers require high levels of training for safe use.
- SCBA is suitable for use in oxygen deficient atmospheres, and in harsh and demanding environments.
- SCBA is fitted with a full face mask and a demand valve to provide a small positive pressure inside the mask.
- This BA is OK for medium work rate (work involving sustained hand and arm movements, or similar to brisk walking).
- Precautions and safety procedures are required for safe use. These come with training, experience and knowledge of the harsh environment.
- Fit the straps as recommended.
- Set up a reliable system for communication.
- Establish the time limit - the duration for safe use.
- Set up a check-out and check-in procedure for SCBA.
- Ensure that the compressed air quality meets the minimum requirements of BSEN12021.
- Ensure that wearers check the RPE fits correctly every time, as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Select the right size mask for each wearer. Fit-testing for each wearer is required when using this RPE for the first time.
- Make DIY modifications to the RPE.
- Use unserviced or dirty equipment.
- Store SCBA in a dirty area or a dirty state.
- Keep working beyond the safe working time.
- Continue to work if any warning signal sounds.
- Use solvents to clean the mask, straps or hoses.