Accidents and near-misses

How to report accidents and near misses correctly in the workplace

Reporting accidents and near-misses

It is important that all staff, contractors and workers know how to report an incident and to whom. The person receiving a report should also know what is expected of them.

You may use a form for this, or advertise another route in your workplace, for example an internal phone number to a person who will record the details and pass them on for analysis and investigation.

You do not always need to report accidents or near-misses to the health and safety authorities. Cases, when you do, are covered by the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR).

Types of reportable incidents and examples

You can find information on types of reportable incidents (external site) on the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) site. They also have examples of reportable incidents (external site).

​Who should submit a report?

A RIDDOR report has to be submitted by the designated responsible person in your organisation. This can be:

  • employers
  • the self-employed
  • people in control of work premises

How to submit a report

In most cases, a RIDDOR report should be submitting using ​an online form.

If someone has been killed, or if specified and major incidents have occurred, then the HSE's Incident Contact Centre can be called via telephone.