- They are supplied in different shapes and sizes.
- They have inlet and outlet valves which must be in good condition.
- These respirators may be worn continuously for more than 1 hour.
- They can be cleaned and used many times, as recommended by the manufacturer.
- In general, reusable full-face respirators are made from a flexible rubber or silicone material.
- Full-face masks cover the whole area of the face. Some makes are fitted with an inner half mask.
- A full-face mask can be used with particle filters, gas filters, vapour filters or a combination of gas, vapour and particle filters as specified by the manufacturer.
- This type uses a motorised fan to pull air through filters. It does not depend on wearer's breathing. However, if the motor fails, the wearer can pull air through the filter for exit to a safe place.
- These respirators are all right for medium work rate (work involving sustained hand and arm movements, or similar to brisk walking) to heavy work rate (manual work requiring a lot of exertion and energy).
- Fit the straps as recommended.
- Select the right size mask for each wearer.
- Choose respirators that have a flow indicator.
- Always fit two identical filters to a twin-filter mask.
- Change used filters at the manufacturer's recommended frequency.
- Fit-testing for each wearer is required when using this RPE for the first time.
- Ensure that wearers check the RPE fits correctly every time, as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Ensure you have the right filter(s) for the substance – particle or gas or vapour, or the required combination.
- Use AX filters with this device.
- Store in dirty areas between uses.
- Make DIY modifications to the RPE.
- Use a damaged respirator – filters, straps, valves.
- Damage or deform the mask when putting it away.
- Keep working if the fan stops, or if the set flow rate isn't held.
- Use filters other than those recommended by the manufacturer.
- Use in oxygen-deficient atmospheres, for example confined spaces.
- Get dirt inside the mask, or clean the mask, straps or filters with solvent.